Free Press, August 16, 1917

GRIM REAPER TAKES JOHN NORWOOD FRIDAY NOON - Was Not Thought To Be Dangerously Ill Although Indisposed.  FELT BETTER LAST MORNING - Has Made Home in Grangeville 24 Years, Originally From England

The news of the death of John Norwood last Friday noon was received by his friends here with as much surprise as pain.  He was known to have been in failing health and was taken sick Monday evening.  August 10th, but was not constantly confined to his bed and felt much better Tuesday morning.  On Friday morning he was much better and dressed and ate breakfast with the family.  He sat in the garden part of the morning and about eleven o'clock said he would lie down until lunch time.  Just at twelve he sat up and called his wife who ran to him and reached his side just as he expired.  His daughter Annie was also present at the time of his death.  MR. Norwood leaves a wife and two daughters, Annie and Helen.  His other living relatives are three brothers and five sisters all residing in England.

John Norwood was born Dec. 12, 1854, at Hockerton,, near Southwell, Nott's England.  He was the son of a farmer and followed agricultural studies.  For four years before coming to America he was assistant professor of agriculture at the Royal Agricultural College at Sirencester, England.  He came to Canada in 1888, first landing in Nova Scotia.  He was in many parts of Canada including British Columbia but did not like that country and went to San Francisco.  In 1893, he came to Idaho, first stopping at Moscow.  Later he was sent to Grangeville to take charge of the agricultural experiment station then being started in this place.  After the station was discontinued he accepted a position in the Bank of Camas Prairie where he served for 16 years., first as bookkeeper, and later as assistant cashier.  He left that institution about five years ago on account of failing health and has since been engaged in the warehouse business.  He was married on Jan 6, 1897, to Miss Annie C. Wood, who survives him with her two daughters.  He has made his home in Grangeville for the past 24 years.  He was held in high esteem by all those who had the good fortune to know him and was thoroughly respected by all those who had even a passing acquaintance with him.

Mr. Norwood's failing health extends back to the time when he left the Bank of Camas Prairie five years ago although he has at no time been dangerously ill except in the latter part of February of this year.  The first of March he went to Spokane and spent a week consulting with a specialist.  His last illness was not considered serious and no intimation of his death was received until the last.

The funeral service was held at the Norwood residence at two o'clock Monday and the sermon was given by Rev. Summerville of Lewiston.  The Masons conducted the ceremony at the grave according to the custom of the lodge.  The pall bearers were Victor Peterson, Geo. D. Smith, F.L. Leonard, A.W. Talkington, Evan Evans and Chester Arnold.  All these gentlemen are past masters of the Mason lodge as was Mr. Norwood.



If you have any records, photos, family information, etc., we would love for you to share.  Or if you have questions or suggestions, please drop me a line. My email address is County Coordinator


Keeping Internet Genealogy Free

Copyright Notice:
All materials contained on these pages are furnished for the free use of those engaged in researching their family origins. Any commercial use or distribution, without the consent of the host/author of these pages is prohibited. All images used on these pages were obtained from sources permitting free distribution, or generated by the author, and are subject to the same restrictions/permissions. All persons contributing material for posting on these pages do so in recognition of their free, non-commercial distribution, and further, is responsible to assure that no copyright is violated by their submission.