Name/AKA Names and Location
Adkinson/Johns T30N, R2E,
S26 Was in general area of the Golf Course
Agee/Enterprise T33N, R4E,
S21 May still be standing
Aram South of Grangeville on Whiskey
Banner Ridge T28N, R2E, S33
Battle Ridge T31N, R4E,
S02 Southeast of Stites on ridge Northeast
Bear/McCarval Located two miles west of
Joseph Junction. Has been torn down.
Big Butte/Seger T32N R2E,
S02 Now a community center
Big Cedar T32N, R5E,
S36 Moved across road. Now a community Center.
Boles/Yellow Pine T30N, R3W, S15
Bruner T31N, R1E, S02
Closed in 1920-21 & its number given to To Red River.
Buettner/Moughmer Point/Pine View.
T30N, R1W, S1
Bug Slope/Rocky Canyon T30N, R1W,
Canfield/Doumecq T29N, R1E,
S19 Some confusion with Jack Pine, note the
difference in legal descriptions
Caribel/Lunders T34N, R4E, S27
Carnes T31N, R1E,
Clear Creek T31N, R5E, S06
Columbus T31N, R2E, S12
Cottonwood T31N, R1E,
S05 Saint Mary;’s Hospital sits on this
Cow Creek #09/Dewey/Lucile T25N, R1W, S05 Above Lucile
about three miles
Cramer/Doty Ridge/Fort Misery T33N, R3E,
Crooks Corral/Curby Bar Crooks Corral is
Northwest of Cow Cr. Saddle
Czizek/Golden Anchor T24N, R4E, S20 & 21
Has a shared number with Bear School
Deep Creek/Hussman Mill T31N, R1W,
S05 Three miles north of Keuterville
Deer Creek T27N, R1E, S05
Delaney T30N, R4E,
S06 Located at top of Harpster Grade
Denver T31N, R2E, S29
School closed in 1939
Dixie T26N, R8E, S27
Oldest Standing School building in the State of Idaho. Replaced with a
new building in 1948.
East Kamiah/Kamiah Union T33N, R4E, S07
Located where National Park Service is today.
Elk City T29N. R8E, S26
Engle/Fitting T32N, R5E,
S12 School Burned to the ground.
Enneking/Schroeder/Timber T31N, R1W,
Eureka/Lower Clear Creek T32N, R4E,
S15 Located east of junction of Leitch &
Excelsior/ Baker Gulch T28N, R2E, S20
Fairview T31N, R3E,
S34 Moved into Grangeville
Fenn/VonBargen T30N, R2E,
S06 Original school burned, new school was
Destroyed to make room for new home.
Ferdinand T33N, R1W, S36
Florence T25N, R3E,
S13 First School built in Idaho 1864.
Free Use/Nephi/Gouge Eye T28N, R2E,
S18 Located 7 miles east of Whitebird on Free Use Road
French Creek/Howard Ranch Probably at mouth
of French Creek on Howard Ranch
Gill Point/Gill T30N, R1E,
Glenwood/Morris T34N, R5E, S33
Golden T29N, R6E, S24
Grandview/Onthank/ T33N, R4E, S02 Pi
Grangeville T30N, R3E, S19
Greencreek T32N, R2E, S19
Harpster T31N, R4E, S33
Harris Ridge T33N, R5E, S30
Harrisburg/Forest Center T34N, R3E, S13 2nd
& 3rd buildings still standing in 2001
Highland T31N, R2E,
S08 Located 2 miles north of Denver.
Hopewell T32N, R3E,
S17 Just south of the Mount Zion Cemetery.
Icicle Flat T32N, R1W,
Independence/ Independent T32N, R2E,
S28 Near 4 corners area and Northeast of Greencreek.
Jack Pine/Twogood T29N, R1E,
S31 Some confusion with Doumecq, see legal
John Day T26N, R1E, S13 1&½ miles up
John Day Creek, Combined with Cow Creek in 1933-34.
Joseph #62/Joseph #69 T29N, R1W, S28 Built
north of Star School in 1935.
Keuterville #18 T31N, R1W,
S10 Also was a catholic school named Holy
Kidder Ridge T33N, R 4E, S14
King First school in Mount Idaho, was
built near F. B. King’s property in Mount Idaho.
Kooskia T32N, R4E, S04
Lake/Tolo T30N, R2E, S31
Lamb/Byrant T33N, R3E, S30
Closed in 1943 and moved to the Henry Schaffer ranch.
Linder T34N, R4E, S31 No
pictures the school is gone.
Lorena/Turner T32N, R5E, S05
Lucile #057 T25N, R1E,
S03 Confusion with Cow Creek, see legal descrip.
Lukes Gulch/Springdale T31N, R4E, S17-18 Was
northeast of Fairview Butte.
Mackay Bar Was near the
South Fork of the Salmon River.
Martin/Mountain Was on the old wagon road to
Whitebird and Located on the corner of the Martin
McBeth Was located in East
Kamiah. (Also had indian school at Mt. Idaho)
Milt Springs/Mill Springs T31N, R3E,
S22 Near top of Lukes Gulch
Mount Idaho T30N, R3E,
Mountain View T30N, R3E,
S32 Was moved to Grangeville.
New Meadows No information.
Nine Pipe T31N, R3E,
S02 Located near the top of Stites Grade.
Oliver T32N, R1E, S02
North of Greencreek and 1mile west of The Meadow
Orogrande T27N, R7E, S11
Pine Grove/Slavens T33N, R1W,
S34 Closed in 1953, was west of Ferdinand and 5
miles from Westlake.
Pleasant Valley T31N, R4E,
S10 Located on the Southwest corner of W. H.
Pleasant View North of Kamiah and 3 miles up
Pete King (Satellite School) Not a pioneer
school. Began in 1949 with a building being moved from the O’Hara CCC
Pollock/Rapid River T24N, R1E,
S32 Was combined with Riggins in 1937-38 And
disallowed in 1941.
Powell On Highway 12 eleven miles from
Border. Built in 1949 and closed 1999.
Red Fir T32N, R5E, S27
Red River #14 T28N, R9E,
S30 Shared district number with Bruner School
that operated until 1920. Red River got the Number
Red Rock T32N, R2E,
S27 Located ¾ miles northwest of Red Rock
Reed/SunsetReed/Sunset Located on the
road halfway between Joseph And the Joseph School.
Riggins T24N, R1E,
S15 First school was built in 1894 in north
Riggins There were 5 schools through out the years.
Seven Mile/Lawyer’s Canyon Less than ½
mile from confluence of Lawyer’s Creek and Seven Mile Creek.
Shuck/Star #023 T28N, R2E,
S21 Located at Copperville west of Whitebird.
Star #013 T30N, R2E,
S11 Located north of Highway 95 and a few
Miles east of Fenn.
Star #069 First Joseph school, located
on breaks overlooking The Snake River & Getta Creek. Burned in
Slate Creek/Freedom T27N, R1E,
Spring Camp #048 Located near a present home
on the Spencer Ranch on Joseph Plains.
Stites T32N, R4E, S20
Two blocks west of Main Street in Stites.
Stock Creek T32N, R1E,
S20 North of Cottonwood, ½ mile from highway 95
near the railroad trestle. Still standing in 2015 -
being used to store hay
Stony Point/Rocky Point T30N, R3E,
S23 Conflicting closure dates of 1942 &
Sunnyside T31N, R3E,
S30 Located near Denver
Tahoe/Tahoe Ridge T32N, R5E, S18
Union T31N, R5E, S22
North of Grangeville on land donated by Charles White.
Tramway Satellite to Woodland #40 located on
War Eagle T23N, R5E,
S24 Located in the Northwest ¼.
Warren/Washington T22N, R6E, S11
Whitebird T28N, R1E,
S14 Burned in 1913 and damaged by flood in 1917.
Westlake T32N, R1W,
S18 Land granted by C. B. Stewart & James
Winona T32N, R3E, S08
Burned in 1930 & rebuilt. Was moved to Kamiah.
Woodland T34N, R3E, S03 Has been moved and is
still in use.
Yellow Pine/ Whispering T26N, R10E,
S32 Located on National Forest ten miles up
Bluffs/Whispering Cliffs from Campbell’s Ferry.
The aforesaid list contains 106 Schools. The
book Pioneer Schools In Idaho County also contains information
on these same 106 schools.
The following School names have been dropped
from the list because no information on them could be found.
Kamiah #52 which is not in Idaho County
Red River Hot Springs
Seventh Day Adventist