|Freedom is located at the
mouth of Slate Creek, where this stream empties into the main salmon
River. It is twelve miles above white Bird. It's trade is supplied
by the stock farms up Slate Creek and by the mines up and down Salmon River.
Although it is not now the largest on the
river, Freedom is still one of the best trading points and was at one time the
main point of the entire Salmon river. It was established in 1861, during
the great Florence placer boom. The old Florence trail left the Salmon
river at this point leading over the ridge and back into the hills. This
made it the outfitting point for the mines and it was the center of the mining
excitement of the country during that time.
During the Indian war in 1877, the only
fort the people of the country had was at the mouth of Slate Creek, and families
congregated there to protect themselves against the Indians. The early
settlers and owners of property there were John Rice, Josh Fockler and C.
From the time the excitement of the mines
started, there was a post office at Freedom. By 1898 the post office was
discontinued. But it was through the efforts of John Nevin, the present
postmaster, the office was re-established there.
Mrs. W. Irvin, wife of the present coroner
of Idaho county, was the first post-mistress after the office was
re-established. It later fell into the hands of Mr. Nevin, who at present
has charge of the store and post office. Besides the store and post office
owned by Mr. Nevin, Freedom has a hotel, saloon and feed barn owned by Charles
The business of Freedom is conducted almost
entirely by John Nevin, owner of the tore and post office. Mr. Nevin is a business
man of especial enterprise. He is rewarded for his work by a liberal trade
up and down the Salmon river. During the entire year he runs a delivery
wagon up and down the river, supplying the various farms and mines along the
road. This is an especial accommodation to the people of this section and
his trade reaches past some of the stores nearest to the points.
Mr. Nevin is well known throughout Idaho
county. He first came to the county in 1891. He came direct to Slate
creek and has been identified with the development of the county since that
time. His trade comes from various sources. Up Slate creek are as
many as eight good stock farms. To the farthest it is about five miles and
each of them employ a number of men.
in the immediate community are a number of
good mines. The Consolidated Hydrolic Mining and Development company has
made a good showing in their placer claims.